Can I receive financial aid to study abroad?

Can I receive financial aid to study abroad?

Most types of financial aid may be used for study abroad opportunities, including grants, scholarships, and student loans. However, National Scholarship and reciprocity and tuition waivers do not apply to study abroad programs.

You must be admitted to a degree-seeking program to receive financial aid for study abroad programs available at the University. You must also apply to study abroad with UMD Study Abroad.

Yes, financial aid is available for most students who qualify for study abroad programs. You must comply with the general eligibility requirements and the credit requirements for financial aid awards.

If you already receive financial aid, you can use most of your UMD financial aid awards toward studying abroad; however, you must still complete the procedures outlined here. If you have not received financial aid in the past, you should consider applying as soon as you decide you want to study abroad.

How do I apply for financial aid?

top rated personal loans

Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you have already submitted a FAFSA for the same academic year you intend to study abroad, do not complete another one.

How much can I receive?

Once you have applied and are accepted into a study abroad program, UMD Study Abroad will inform the Office of Financial Aid of the anticipated cost of your chosen study abroad program. If your program cost is estimated to be more than the cost to attend UMD, you may be eligible for additional financial aid funds to help cover your expenses. If your program is lower than your current cost to attend UMD, your financial aid will be reduced. Additional financial aid is generally awarded in the form of loans, such as Federal Direct Subsidized, Unsubsidized and Parent PLUS Loans, or private loans. Grants and University scholarships administered by the Office of Financial Aid are not increased for your study abroad session. Most students’ federal and state financial aid is not enough to cover study abroad expenses. Many students use private bank loans to supplement their financial resources. You can refer to our Private Education Loan section for information on loans through private lenders.

Are there any scholarships or special funds offered to study abroad students?

personal poor credit loans

The University of Minnesota offers scholarships specifically for study abroad. Other scholarships and funding are also available. Information can be found at UMD Study Abroad Scholarships.

You must report to the Office of Financial Aid any outside or private scholarships that you receive during the year.

How will my financial aid be disbursed while I am away?

Your financial aid, including federal and private education loans, will be disbursed into your student account. Study abroad program fees that are billed through the University are the first charges that will be paid. After your program charges are completely paid, any remaining funds will be refunded to you as a credit balance. Direct deposit is recommended.

Can I receive work study for studying abroad?

While you study abroad, you are not eligible to receive work study during the semester(s) you are away. However, you may request that other aid, usually a loan, replace your work-study.

Can I receive reciprocity benefits for studying abroad?

Everyone, regardless of the state of residence, is charged the same program fee for their study abroad program. If you are currently receiving reciprocity and you will be abroad for a full academic year (fall and spring semesters), you must re-apply for reciprocity when you return from your study abroad program. If you will be abroad for only one semester, you do not need to reapply for reciprocity when you return.

Is financial aid available for winter break and/or May session?

Yes. Financial aid is available to meet costs related to courses established through UMD during J Term (late Decembermid-January) and studies during May session (mid-May-early June). Please be aware that J Term courses are classified as part of the spring session and May session courses are classified as part of the summer session for registration and financial aid purposes. As a result, J Term financial aid is disbursed in mid-January and May session financial aid is disbursed in early June. For information on summer financial aid, review the May/Summer section under Financial Aid.

How do my grades and credit load affect my study abroad plans?

To be eligible for financial aid, you must meet the standards set forth in the University of Minnesota Duluth Financial Aid Policy on Satisfactory Academic Progress.

This policy is determined by federal and state guidelines and includes a variety of grants, loans, and scholarships sponsored by federal and state programs and the University of Minnesota, as well as many private loans.

  • If your grades are not posted in a timely manner, which may occur, you may receive an email from the Office of Financial Aid stating that you have been placed on either financial aid warning or suspension.
  • If you receive a letter indicating that you are on financial aid warning, do not panic. Once your grades are posted, contact One Stop Student Services immediately to determine if the warning code can be removed from your record.
  • If you are studying abroad for an entire academic year, you may receive a suspension e-mail, since grades from both semesters may not have been posted. Please contact One Stop Student Services to resolve the matter.
  • Your aid will be adjusted based on the actual number of credits taken. You will be responsible for any repayment of financial aid resulting from a drop in credits. For example, if you have a Minnesota State Grant and are registered for 15 credits but only take 12 credits, once your grades transfer back to UMD, you will be billed for three credits of Minnesota State Grant.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *