To get some ideas, visit Studying in Germany – Financing your studies in Germany

To get some ideas, visit Studying in Germany – Financing your studies in Germany

As in the UK, there are numerous organisations offering needs and merit-based scholarships and grants, such as federal states, foundations, religious organisations, and the Federal Ministry of Education and Research.

Contact the consulate or embassy in your home country for more information on what you’re entitled to and how to apply. You can also explore your funding options and search via the scholarship database at DAAD – Scholarships.

Student visas

personal loans in mexico

If you’re a citizen of the European Economic Area (EEA) – this includes EU member states as well as Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein – you won’t need a visa to study in Germany, as long as you:

  • are studying for more than three months
  • are enrolled at an approved university/other educational institution
  • have sufficient income (from any source) to live without needing income support
  • have comprehensive health insurance cover.
  • German Student Visa – the standard student visa for international students who’ve been admitted to a German university and are about to begin a full-time programme.
  • German Student Applicant Visa – if you need to physically be in Germany to apply for university admission this visa enables you to stay in the country during the application process.
  • German Language Course Visa – for those looking to study a German language course in the country.

All students from outside the EEA will need to obtain a residence visa. You can do this from the German consulate or embassy in your home country for a fixed fee of 75 (?). Within two weeks of your arrival in Germany you’ll need to register with the Aliens Registration Office and your local registration office to obtain a residency permit.

Contact the Germany embassy or consulate in your home country before you apply to find out which visa you’ll need and how to apply. For UK residents, you’ll need to go to the German Embassy in London. The approval process can be lengthy, so aim to submit your visa application at least three months in advance.

How to apply

As there’s no centralised application system in Germany, you’ll typically contact universities directly to get the ball rolling. However, some universities use a service called Uni-Assist to manage their international applications. Check to see if your institution is involved in this. You’re free to make as many applications as you’d like at one time.

To apply, fill out an application form, which you’ll find either online or by contacting the university’s registration office, and submit it along with the required documents. This usually includes transcripts of your education and language certificates where appropriate. If you’re successful, you may be invited to attend an interview or complete skills testing.

Application deadlines vary between institutions as each is run independently. As a general rule, if you’re enrolling on a course starting in the summer you should aim to submit your application by mid-January. For courses starting in the winter, aim for mid-July.

Language requirements

personal loans direct lender

Many German universities offer English-taught Masters courses, and as a native English speaker you won’t need to prove your proficiency in the language. If you’d like to enrol on a course delivered in German, you’ll need to take one of the country’s two recognised tests:

  • TestDaF – TestDaF examinations are held several times a year. You can save money by taking the TestDaF from home, as it costs 195 (?177) in Germany. While it’s cheaper in other countries, you’ll need to ensure you do it far enough in advance to receive your results in time, as this process can take up to six weeks (as opposed to four weeks with the digital test). See for exact exam dates.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *